Skip to main content

I started with my savings and help from a like mind –Atomode Jide Benjamin, businessman and gospel singer



It didn’t take Atomode Jide Benjamin to deter­mine his focus in life, but he knew that he was not destined to be a banker and hence he left his plum banking job for the music industry and has made a success of it. In this interview with Sunday Sun, he reveals his journey through life and how he succeeded. Excerpts:
Tell us about your­self
My name is Atomode Jide Benjamin but my fans and friends call me Lord Bishop. I’m from Kabba town in Kogi State and the second child of my parents. I’m a gospel artist and businessman . I grew up in Kaduna. I speak Yoruba, Hausa and of course English.
I obtained my HND in Accountancy from Kogi State Polytechnic, had my BSc in Economics from Joseph Ayo Babalola University(JABU) and my PGD/MBA from Ladoke Akintola University of Technology Ogbomosho.
Why did you resign from the banking in­dustry?
Banking is an awesome and interesting industry and same goes for entertainment indus­try. They both require time and commitment. You don’t chase two bush meat in the bush at the same time, else you lose both. Since you love bush meat, chase one, catch it and enjoy your meal. I cannot run banking with music espe­cially knowing that music is my passion. I had to exit the banking system to face my ministry and grace has never made me regret my decision.
What were your par­ents’ reaction to the decision?
My parent reaction? Lol. They were not aware I had even resigned. I remember I was outside the country with my mentor, Pastor Dr Wale Olasoji when I informed them. I explained my vision and drive after which they prayed for me. My parents and family support me greatly.
When did you start singing?
I started singing since 2005 while I was in Kogi State Polytechnic, Lokoja but pro­fessionally in the year 2012. When I say officially, I mean 2012 was when I dropped my first album and launched into musical industry.
What motivated your decision to make it in your career?
My decision was based on my passion for music. I believe what God has depos­ited inside us as individuals are sufficient enough to feed our generation. Therefore, I decided that the talent God gave to me and not what I went to school to acquire has to be given the required time and doggedness to get to the zenith of my dreams. I also discovered the Grace of God upon me and realized how joyous I feel when impacting lives through music.
Can you tell us about your first perfor­mance?
My first performance was an experience never to be forgot­ten. It was in Rev. P.J.A Olai­ya’s church during one of the church’s annual conventions at Alheri Camp KM 31 Kadu­na-Abuja Expressway, Kaduna State. My performance was filled with much tension that I was so scared. In fact, the few minutes I spent intro­ducing the song was with a shaky voice. I heard a lot of positive comments but I was not satisfied with myself. Guess what? I hid my face all through till the end of the con­vention when I left but still, it was such an experience with wonderful memories.
Can you tell us those you have sung with and what events you attended?
I have performed with many artists in Nigeria espe­cially. They include Asu Ek­yie, Samsong, Chris Morgan, Solomon Lange, Kenny Kore, Psalm Ebube, Mike Aremu, Segun Adelumola(UK), Segun Arogboojo, Elijah Oyelede and my daddy Dr. Panam Percy Paul.
The events are too nu­merous and I can’t even remember them all. I have also attended several awards, gospel concerts all over Nige­ria, weddings, conventions, crusade and many more.
How many siblings do you have?
We are 4 gifts to our family.
How did you start your business?
It started as a desire to have an alternative source of income while working and the next thing to do was to look for basic problems to solve, a gap to fill. We have a lot of basic problems which include what to eat, what to wear, how to look and lots more. The Holy Spirit inspired me with an idea and granted me favour to achieve it. I was into ‘solving the how to look problem’ by opening a unisex salon. income while working and
How did you get cap­ital to fund it?
I met a like-minded senior fellow who is not a relative. I shared the idea and God ensured that he supported me. I had savings too which solved some start-up challeng­es. Above all, God was and is strong in my life. I thank Him.
How have you been managing the salon?
Managing the salon has been with a system I call the OCI (owner consciousness initiative). This simply implies that staff of the salon are the owners of the salon. They work and run the affairs of the salon. They see the salon as theirs. You must learn never to be greedy in a small scale business especially when you are not always around to mon­itor the running. When you think you are smart, your staff will find a weak point and hit you really hard. Learn to make them comfortable, know for sure that they will stylishly eat from where they work. Finally, I sat with them and we agreed on what we thought should be mine every week after all expenses and they have never failed. Remember, learn never to be greedy.
Did you go for train­ing to handle the place or you hired people to work for you?
The guys handle the salon business. This is possible because of my approach to business. I sourced for a guy who is a genius in the busi­ness and he brought in other experienced hands. As a small scale business, you don’t have the luxury of spending funds on training considering that workers might not be per­manent. My advice to anyone who intends to start up a small scale business is simply to hire experienced hands and do customer service training for them.
What were the chal­lenges you faced during your transition from banking sector to being a business owner?
Well, no empire was built in a day but vision keeps me going. It was difficult having total and full stability but, like I said, doggedness is a great prerequisite for success in such decision.
Salon owners have an association. Are you a member?
We have an association but I am not a member.
You are old enough to be hooked! When are you quitting bachelor hood?
Leaving bachelorhood is one of my topmost priorities and very soon you will hear the sound of abundance of rain. Life is one step at a time, to avoid rushing in and crashing out, you must follow process and order. That is one of the ways to be successful in getting a life partner.
Can you share tips on how to succeed in your businesses? I mean both music ca­reer and salon busi­ness.
I learnt my philosophy from Dr. Wale Olasoji who coun­seled me “Don’t do too many things at the same time”. You need to know what you want, how long it will take you to get what you want, where you want to be and go for it. Avoid anything that will derail you . Nothing happens by chance. You must make things happen. We can become anything, any day and anytime if we are just determined. Determine to make a difference and with the support of our Heavenly Father, you will succeed.
Who are your men­tors?
In the musical world, my mentors are Segun Adelumola and Chris Morgan while in the business world, my mentors are Edward Onoja and Dr. Wale Olasoji
What do you do when you are down?
The word ‘down hearted’ is a strong word but what I do is based on what made me down-hearted. I change envi­ronment for a period of time, I sing sometimes, I stay alone for a while and finally pray as applicable.
Do you miss your life as a banker?
Well, I don’t. I loved banking , gained a lot of experience and now I’m moving forward. Please note this, never go down in life.
How can you encour­age those who want to have a salon business or those who want to become musicians?
Having a salon must be with a defined goal and target. You must know the right locations because running a salon is a game of numbers. The more your clients, the higher the income you receive. Please never open a salon business if you are not sure of the result of your pure business analy­sis. Finally, God is the helper of all, learn to carry Him along and don’t forget to pay your tithe.
Starting a music career, you must know that it takes patience and determination to succeed . Write your song, promote it on your social media page first and your environment. When I say envi­ronment, I mean your church, societal groups, friends and people around you before thinking of media houses especially for those who lack funds. Finally be close to God and stay determined.

BY SIJIBOMI OYEDEPO-Sun Newspaper

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Turn Down Worldly Deals Worth Millions – DJ Ernesty

Ernest Esekhile is a graduate of Estate Management from Federal University of Technology Minna, Niger State. The estate Surveyor turns profession DJspeaks with CHINENYE ANAEMENA on sundry issues. Your Background? My name is Ernest Esekhile, I am in my 30s, a graduate of Estate Management from Federal University of Technology Minna, Niger State. Am an estate Surveyor by profession but a DJ by calling, I do both Radio and club DJ, gospel DJ and all round DJ. I come from a family of six in Edo State and I have a twin sister. How was growing up like? Growing was really cool especially coming from a family like mine where the children's needs are of utmost priority to our parents, it wasn't so rosy, it was just okay. Your parents and the influence they had on you My parents have influenced me a lot, they are addict followers of Christ who attend Anglican Church, so we had strict adherence to doing things the right way, and that has shaped me into who I

Which of these business Africans inspires you most and why?

                           Aliko Dangote                                                         Michael Adenuga                                  Isabel Dos Santos                                                       Tony Elumelu                               Nicky Oppenheimer                                                  Siza  Mzimela Folorunsho Alakija Is your choice not featured? Please mention the person in the comment box. 

7 Inspiring Young African Entrepreneurs To Watch In 2017

Here are 7 inspiring young African entrepreneurs who you need to watch out for in 2017. They are all juggernauts in nurturing nascent businesses into maturity on the African continent. Still under 40 years of age, these young and dynamic entrepreneurs have the legendary courage to dare and conquer. These 7 exceptional talents would surely play significant roles in charting the course of businesses in the African continent in the years ahead. Adeniyi Makanjuola , Nigerian Adeniyi Makanjuola is anything but conventional. His unassuming, self effacing demeanor belies the fact that he is an integral part of the birthing of a plethora of business ventures ranging from aviation to oil & gas, environmental utilities, energy and the financial sectors. After completing his degrees in Financial Economics from the University of Essex and an M.Sc in Urban Planning and Development from the University College London, UK, Adeniyi moved home to Nigeria to start up a helicopt