Skip to main content

I made my first million at 19 – Kwam 1

By CHRISTY ANYANWU

Fuji sensation, King Wasiu Ayinde Marshal a.k.a Kwam 1, is indeed homely, down to earth and unassuming as he welcomed me to his Ijebu Ode country home lately. Ayinde who recently clocked 60 years talked to Sunday Sun about his firsts. Excerpts:
Your first day on stage?
As a professional, I started when I was 15 and ever since I have been doing music.
First big break?
It was an event I went for on the Island and definitely a lot of people were there. A lot of my mates, junior ones and senior ones. Some saw me and said, “Oh, he is playing music” and those that saw me later said “oh, we saw you on stage”. Instantly, I became a role model for them. Everybody wants to be like me.
First car?
My first car was a Volkswagen Beetle 1300. I dashed it out when I got another car.
First pet?
A pussycat, that was the first pet I got. It’s colours were white and black. But it died.
First million?
I made my first million naira when I was 19 years. Aside music, I was a Customs clearing agent at Apapa Wharf then.
First album?
My first album was made in 1979. It was titled, Iba. When we first came out, we also appealed to people like “I throw my respect o.”
First musical video?
I think it was from my second album I made my first musical video. It was titled, Talazo.
Ever smoked cigarettes?
I was 18 years and I never liked it. I coughed terribly. I stopped and I didn’t try smoking since then.
First drink?
I enjoy myself. I love my Chelsea.
First girlfriend?
My first girlfriend gave birth to my first child and that was 40 years ago. I was living at Isale Eko then.
First trip abroad?
That was in 1976. It was beautiful and out of this world. I felt good.
First designer wear and watch?
It was by Dakova, my friend. I also love Vivid Imagination, my friend too. My first designer’s watch was by Piaget Abel.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Which of these business Africans inspires you most and why?

                           Aliko Dangote                                                         Michael Adenuga                                  Isabel Dos Santos                                                       Tony Elumelu                               Nicky Oppenheimer                                                  Siza  Mzimela Folorunsho...

How This South African entrepreneur turned his business from failure to box-office hits

Triggerfish Animation Studios is a South African film and entertainment animation company which produced the award-winning feature films  Adventures in Zambezia  and  Khumba . It has also recently created the animation for Roald Dahl’s  Revolting Rhymes  TV series, which premiered on BBC at the end of last year. Triggerfish is now working on its next film,  Seal Team , which is set off the coast of Cape Town. This animation follows the story of a seal and a team of misfits who decide to fight back against the sharks who dominate the waters.   But the company’s journey to success has been far from easy and Stuart Forrest, the man behind the business, has seen Triggerfish through many challenging times – including liquidation. At yesterday’s launch of the 2017 Sanlam and Business Partners Entrepreneur of the Year award in Cape Town, he shared this experience with an audience. Starting from the bottom Forrest is not the original owner of Trig...

Building a profitable green economy in Africa

Viewed from a dramatic granite formation jutting above the town, the central Ugandan settlement of Soroti doesn’t amount to much. A series of low-rise rectangular buildings, drifting off into a featureless hinterland, it appears a regional administrative and commercial centre of little importance. Yet in December, European Union and Ugandan diplomats, wielding commemorative spears and greeted by brightly attired locals, gathered to cut the ribbon on a development that could put this backwater firmly on the map. Soroti’s vast solar plant is the largest of its kind in  East Africa , a sprawling site of over 32,000 photovoltaic panels that will add an initial 10MW of electricity generating capacity to the local area. Backed by development funds from European taxpayers and foreign private capital, the $19m project aims to power up to 40,000 homes, schools and hospitals, while kick-starting regional economic growth and delivering profits to its commercial backers. It is on...